Girona & Montserrat with Cog-Wheel Train from Barcelona
Discover the charm of Girona, its rich legacy of history and culture, and visit Montserrat to enjoy one of the most stunning landscapes in the world
- The houses on the Onyar river compose a beautiful and romantic view. Without a doubt, the most typical of the city.
- The Cathedral of Girona, built between the 11th and the 18th centuries, is one of the most emblematic symbols of city.
- Montserrat, also known as the magical mountain of Catalonia, is one of the most attractive points of interest of the area.
- Cog-wheel train one way ride in Montserrat.
- Taste of 4 typical liquors of the area.
- Entrance to the audio visual exhibition in Montserrat “Espai Audio visual Montserrat”.
- Transportation on an air conditioned coach.
- Local guide.
- Tour operated in both Spanish and English.
- Radio guide system.
- Food and drinks, unless specified.
- Hotel pick up and drop off.
- Admission to Girona’s Cathedral.
- You have approximately 20 min of free time for lunch between both parts of the excursions. Lunch not included.
- The duration of the tour includes transportation.
- A dress code is required to enter the Basilica in Montserrat. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. No flip flops permitted.
- Queues to see the Black Madonna may occur depending on season.
- This activity includes walking long distances. Wear appropriate attire.
- Julià Travel reserves the right to change the itinerary or cancel the tour due to events being celebrated in the city or force majeure reasons.
- In order to cancel the booking with no penalties you must contact us at least 24 hours in advance.
- This tour starts from Julià Travel Gray Line Spain, Estació del Nord, ground floor, platform 19 at: Carrer Alí Bei 54-80
- Print your voucher and give it to your guide. E-voucher accepted.
- Please be at the meeting point 15 minutes before the tour begins.
- Julià Travel Gray Line Spain contact: 0034 93 317 64 54 or [email protected]
- Any person failing to appear at the established time will not be refunded.
- Cancellation policy: a 100% cancellation penalty applies if cancelled 24 hours or less prior to travel date or in case of no-show
Leave our office in central Barcelona on an air-conditioned coach. Sit back and relax on the journey to one of the most beautiful cities of Catalonia. After a 1-and-a-half-hour drive on the highway, you will arrive to Girona.
On arrival, follow your guide to the city center for a two-hour walking tour. Discover the Old Town and learn about some of the myths and legends related to the city. Stroll down la Rambla, see some of the most important plazas of Girona and explore its winding alleys. Will you recognize the construction by Eiffel near the Onyar Houses above the river?
See some of the locations where the HBO hit series Game of Thrones filmed many scenes of its sixth season. Admire the exterior of the magnificent Cathedral (SPOILER ALERT!) destroyed on the TV series. Walk along a part of the city medieval walls and marvel at the amazing views of the old town. Originally built in the XIV century, the old walls were destroyed to expand the city in the XIX century. Today, due to the reconstruction of the missing parts it is possible to walk along them.
Take advantage of the free time you will be given after the guided tour and visit the Cathedral on your own or grab a quick bite to eat.
Check in again at our office. Meet your guide and board an air-conditioned coach to Montserrrat.
After a 1h drive on the highway, board the cog-wheel train up the mountain and enjoy the amazing views. Admire the Mountain’s peculiar morphology, which comes from the Catalan words Mont (mountain) and Serrat (serrated). World-famous for its rocky geography, Montserrat beautiful scenery was declared National Park in 1987 to protect its natural and cultural wealth.
Follow your local guide through the site and learn about the history and architectural style of the Monastery. A community of 80 monks currently lives and follow the rule of Saint Benedict in Montserrat. Fall in love with the Gothic and Renaissance details of the basilica and sanctuary. Learn about the legend of the miraculous apparition of the Madonna and Child in the cave of Santa Cova. To this day their wood carving is kept in the Church of the monastery, which you will be able to visit. The figure is popularly known as La Moreneta (The Black Madonna) as a result of a varnish reaction.
Besides the main area, there are a great number of small churches and trails you can follow. You will be given free time to taste the finest liquors, shop for locally produced treats or visit the audio visual exhibition once our guided tour finishes.